Monday, January 26, 2009

Hen or egg?

There is this poster in the building where I work that says: "hen or egg?" and I've started thinking about this. What are we?

Are we the hen or are we the egg? In order to know that we need to know the characteristics of both of them.

As we know the hen is the female chicken. It lays eggs. It breeds the eggs until they're ready to crack and become another life.

An egg is the "hard-shelled reproductive body produced by a bird" (Merriam Webster online dictionary). The egg itself is not active. It sits there until it is ready bred. Once out of the egg the bird inside is life itself, yet very fragile still.

Now you might wonder where I am heading to, but we are getting there.
The question beforementioned asked you whether you were a hen or an egg. Accordingly I could also ask you if you are the one being active, producing ideas, breeding new life (meant as ideas, visions etc.)? Or are you the egg, waiting to crack and begin a life. Or are you waiting for the idea to be bred until you actually become active?

Think about your everyday life. Think about your ministry in church, the things where you are serving. Think about your relationships, your friendships, people in your small group.

Are you getting yourself out there, following a certain goal, breeding ideas, following your vision? Are you active?

To wrap this up, let me quote from Philippians 3:

12 I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead,14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
Again I ask you: Are you the hen or the egg?

xoxo

Ramona

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you. Your thoughts, ideas and inspiration...leave me a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pin it Button